Questions to ask your doctor about staying healthy during pregnancyWhat to ask your doctor about staying healthy during pregnancy; Pregnancy - what to ask your doctor about staying healthy; Healthy pregnancy - what to ask your doctor
You are pregnant and want to know how to have a healthy pregnancy. Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor for a healthy pregnancy.
How often should I go for regular check-ups?
- What should I expect from routine visits?
- What types of tests may be done during these visits?
- When should I see a doctor apart from my regular visits?
- Do I need any vaccines? Are they safe?
- Is genetic counseling important?
What foods should I eat for a healthy pregnancy?
- Are there foods I should avoid?
- How much weight should I gain?
- Why do I need prenatal vitamins? How would they help?
- Will taking iron supplements cause any side effects? What can I do to reduce them?
What habits should I avoid while pregnant?
- Is smoking unsafe for my child and pregnancy?
- Can I drink alcohol? Is there a safe limit?
- Can I have caffeine?
Can I exercise during pregnancy?
- What types of exercise are safe?
- What exercises should I avoid?
What over-the-counter medicines are safe to take during pregnancy?
- What medicines should I avoid?
- Do I need to consult a health care provider before taking any medicine during pregnancy?
- Can I continue to take my regular medicines during pregnancy?
How long can I continue to work?
- Are there certain tasks at work I should avoid?
- Are there any precautions I should take at work while pregnant?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. During Pregnancy. www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/during.html. Updated January 23, 2018. Accessed April 6, 2018.
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development website. What can I do to promote a health pregnancy? www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/preconceptioncare/conditioninfo/healthy-pregnancy. Updated January 31, 2017. Accessed April 6, 2018.
West EH, Hark L, Catalano PM. Nutrition during pregnancy. In: Gabbe SG, Niebyl JR, Simpson JL, et al, eds. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 7.
Review Date: 4/12/2018
Reviewed By: Peter J. Chen, MD, FACOG, Associate Professor of OBGYN at Cooper Medical School at Rowan University, Camden, NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.