Warning Signs For Potential Complications During Pregnancy
Most women only experience the normal discomforts that take place during pregnancy. However, sometimes there can be complications that need immediate medical attention.
If you experience any of the symptoms listed below, contact your health care provider immediately, or go to the hospital or emergency room.
- Vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal discharge that is unusual
- Pain or burning upon urination, or decrease in urination
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Leakage of fluid from the vagina
- Sharp pelvic pain or severe cramping
- Frequent dizzy spells or fainting
- Severe, persistent, frequent headaches
- Visual disturbances such as blurred vision, white lights or flashes, dots in front of the eyes
- Sudden swelling in hands, feet, and face
- Falling or sustaining a blow to your abdomen
- Noticeable decrease or absence of fetal movement
- High fever - over 100.4° Fahrenheit orally
- Contractions more often than four times an hour if you are less than 37 weeks
- Low back pain that comes and goes
- Any other problem that feels unusual
The bottom line: if you are worried, definitely call your health care provider! Chances are someone from your practice is awake and working on labor and delivery at any given moment. It's better to call and check than stay at home and worry alone.
Reviewed By: John D. Jacobson, MD, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda Center for Fertility, Loma Linda, CA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Heart & Vascular
Heart and Vascular Services Department brings world-class cardiovascular care to our community.LEARN MORE